Monday 29 July 2024

DAYS 45-46 of 46 Total Days (28-29 July 2024) LAST POST – THE JOURNEY HOME AND SUMMARY OF TERRANESIA 2024.

Welcome to the LAST POST of TERRANESIA 2024 !!! What a journey it has been. 16 individual islands over four very different territories in the South Pacific Ocean.

 

If you have not seen the American Samoa post then just scroll down to the end of this post – it is underneath !!!

 

I summarise the key facts that differentiate the four territories in the table below:

And now, here are my favourites:

 

Favourite Territory: FRENCH POLYNESIA because of the Marquesas Archipelago so wild, so isolated, so pristine, so culturally pure.

 

Favourite Island: AITUTAKI because of its world- class lagoon (most beautiful I have ever seen not only in Terranesia but all my travels to-date).

 

Favourite Overnight Location: MATA UTU on Wallis Island because of the experience of local Polynesians and everything was in walking distance.

 

Favourite Hotel: PAGO AIRPORT INN in American Samoa because of the help Keith (Father) and Malea (Daughter) gave me with supermarket and car not to mention the big homey rooms with excellent aircon, fridge and microwave.

 

Favourite Food: THE GRAND POLYNESIAN BUFFET LUNCH ON THE ARANUI SHIP in French Polynesia because of the extraordinary variety, flavours and quantities.

 

Favourite Run: AITUTAKI because of the isolation, ocean views and dreamy sunrise.

 

Favourite Swim: AOA BAY in American Samoa because of the coral, calmness and clarity of water.

 

Favourite Trek: FATU HIVA in French Polynesia because of the spectacular terrain and views of the island.

 

Favourite Experience: Attending SUNDAY MASS at the Cathedral of Our Lady (Notre Dame) in Mata Utu town on Wallis Island.

 

MY JOURNEY HOME from Pago Pago AMERICAN SAMOA to Sydney AUSTRALIA via Apia SAMOA and Auckland NEW ZEALAND took 16 elapsed hours and 8 hours of flying covering 5,202km. The funniest and weirdest part of the trip back was flying the small twin prop from American Samoa back to Samoa. I lost an entire day because of the International Dateline between the two nations. Left at 11am on Sun 28JUL and arrived at 1130am on Mon 29JUL after only 30min of flying !!!

 

Sprung outta bed in Pago Pago at 730am keen to get home because I want to see my mum and start post-production of AI CULTURA 2024, starring Antonia Golfin to make her a STAR by Christmas !!! Hire Car King Mr Jason drove me to the Pago Pago International Airport arriving 9am. My first of 3 flights home began as I planned. I landed the co-pilots right seat in the 8-seat Twin Commander. A very young Captain Caleb welcomed me into the seat next to him with 6 other rather larger passengers behind us. Caleb was born and raised in NZ with a very pronounced accent and verbal mannerisms. Off we went. What a ride. What shots. Right seat was the goer on the way back to Samoa as you will see by the photos below. We cruised at 10,600ft at 367km/h. I could see both American Samoa and Samoa for 10min of the flight. Awesome. The views of Upolu (Main island of Samoa) were great. Could see the whole island. The landing into Faleolo International Airport was a white-knuckle ride or sweaty palms if you prefer. Strong winds had has slipping and sliding from side to side as we came in. On touchdown and taxi the Polynesians behind me started clapping and high-fiving. We were secure. I collected my bags and checked into by Air New Zealand flights to Auckland then Sydney. Spent the 2.5hr layover. After 4hrs of movies I was in the land of the Great White Cloud. And that it was. 14C and pouring rain. Grabbed some burgers and a duty free bottle of Rose and I was set for the next 3hrs of layover. Went super fast. The A320neo to Sydney was another 3.5hr of movies and I was glad to see the Sydney skyline even at night. Landed at 10pm, bloody cold outside so I skipped the Uber waiting and cabbed it. Will never do that again. Bloody cab driver took me in the wrong direction, which of course I had to pay for. Uber Alles !!! It was weird driving through Bondi at night and even weirder walking into my Presidential Unit. So warm and cosy. So neat and tidy. So familiar. Another South Pacific Adventure had come to an end and I was elated with the results. The Eagle Had Landed. Terranesia Had Landed !!!

 

TERRANESIA 2024 would like to leave you with the final images of my journey home, the highlight being the turboprop co-pilot flight from American Samoa to Samoa.

 

This is John “Polynesia” Golfin signing off for TERRANESIA 2024…




















WELL DONE & FAREWELL TERRANESIA !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment